This guided cross-country ski tour runs along the eastern border of Finland and in Hossa National Park.
The daily stages lead through wild, untouched nature. They are on their feet for about 20 km a day.
At the end of eventful day tours you will stop in comfortable guest houses and log cabins. Experience Finnish hospitality and traditional food culture. Of course, a sauna is available every evening.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in our cross-country tour. Lunch is usually prepared by a snowmobiler on an outdoor fire pit.
The groups are internationally mixed. The tour guide speaks English.
- On the cross-country tour we cover approx. 17 – 23 km on cross-country skis every day and are thus on the move for approx. 5 – 7 hours per day including breaks. The tracks for the cross-country skiing tour are pulled by a snowmobile and it is only possible to ski in the classic cross-country technique.
- The route is fairly easy; the terrain varies, but is mostly flat with some short climbs and descents.
- The difficulty level of this tour is easy to moderate. You should be fit for long tours in the snow.
Everyone can run at their own speed. The guide runs with the slowest skiers.
- Experience in cross-country skiing is useful, an introduction to the technique on site for (re-)beginners is possible. However, the tour does not include its own cross-country skiing course. Good physical condition is important.
- The trip is not suitable for persons with reduced mobility. Please contact us for detailed information if needed.
- The classic cross-country skis (approx. 44 mm width) are suitable for cross-country skiing.
- You can rent skis, poles and also boots.
- You will receive a list of what things you should bring with your travel documents.
Meeting point of the trip
The meeting point of the trip is Kuusamo airport.
On request we can also arrange the bus station in Kuusamo as a meeting point.
Transfer from Kuusamo airport to the first accommodation and return transfer from the last accommodation to Kussamo airport is included in the price. Flights are not included in the tour price. Please book your flight yourself e.g. with Finnair.
Please note that there is only one transfer per day. The times are each coordinated with a specific flight. If you miss the departure, any extra private transfer is payable locally.
Please be sure to coordinate the times for the transfer with us before booking your flight. Between the bus transfer and the flight should not be less than 1 h. Please do not miss the transfer bus.
They are on the road in the wilderness. You will be accommodated in two-, three- or more-bed rooms in simple, but very cozy log cabins. The cabins each have cozy common areas. Wood stove and sauna await you in the evening.
The first nights you will be accommodated in the Rajakartano game lodge.
Rajakartano is a traditional, well-equipped log cabin on the shore of Lake Hossanjärvi. It has
2- and 4-bed rooms with bunk beds, shared toilets and showers for up to 14 people, a kitchen, dining room and central heating, fireplace and sauna in the house and another sauna on the lake. Possibility of ice swimming.
You will spend the next three nights at the Wild Centre Martinselkonen.
The two houses are located not far from each other in the forest. They have single rooms, double rooms and a four-person apartment. There are cozy lounges, kitchen, fireplace and sauna. Most of the rooms have private showers.
The last two nights you will be hosted by the Aarola Game Farm. Arola is a former dairy, which since 1995 has been developed into an agrotourism experience. The village is located near the Russian border, on the edge of the Martinselkonen nature reserve.
Let’s end the day with dinner in the historic Arola farmhouse and a sauna bath in the relaxing wood-heated (smoke) sauna.
Your trip includes full board.
- Around 8 o’clock we have breakfast.
Breakfast isserved in the cottage. It consists of plenty of bread, cheese, ham, porridge, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea.
- We usually break for lunch between 11 and 12.
Lunchis usually served at a fireplace in the forest. It consists of hot soup, sandwiches, sausages, coffee & tea with chocolate and cookies.
- Around 3 to 4 p.m. we are usually at the destination accommodation. A small snack awaits you.
- Dinner isusually a buffet. It includes typical Finnish dishes “homemade style”. Mostly it consists of a main course
with meat / fish, potatoes / rice, fresh salad / warm vegetables and a dessert.
We provide you first of all with genuine Finnish products. They are always our first choice. In winter, all fruit is imported, so there is little fresh fruit and only at base camp.
We are also happy to provide you with vegetarian food. For people with celiac disease we also prepare gluten-free meals. For people with lactose intolerance we also prepare lactose-free meals. Please let us know when booking if you would like to eat vegetarian or even gluten-free. Please take into account that your choice is valid for the entire tour. A change on the way is no longer possible.
Tap water is good to drink in Finland. Huts where tap water is not available are supplied with large jerry cans. You can always fill your own water bottle.
Please provide yourself with snacks for the walking times according to your comfort.
Please see our entry information for Finland on our Country Information page.
We recommend that you take out travel cancellation insurance. you can find a quote on our travel insurance page.
The special experience...
- Look forward to peace, space, light and air
- Experience a piece of the untouched winter landscape of the Hossa National Park
- Enjoy the freedom of the open space, the warmth of the campfires and the evening sauna
- Experience a guided group tour in the whiteness of the winter wilderness that you will not soon forget