Are you thinking of cycling down the Altmühl?
Great idea: The Altmühltal Cycle Path is now one of the most popular cycle paths in Germany!
This is due to the excellent, mostly flat route, which takes you away from traffic through wonderful nature and charming medieval towns. Imposing castles and palaces as well as interesting rock formations make for a varied route. The very good signposting ensures relaxed cycling stages.
You start in Gunzenhausen at the Altmühlsee and cycle in only 4 day stages to Regensburg at the Danube. Castles and palaces, medieval towns and a charming river landscape accompany you!
You will stay in good middle class hotels, occasionally in inns of the 3*** and 4**** category.
- Daily breakfast buffet or extended breakfast included
- When booking half board incl. 3-course dinner (partly in neighboring restaurants)
- mostly flat, very well-maintained bike paths and quiet, low-traffic side roads
- 4 daily stages between 35 and 68 km; in total approx. 204 km
- The trip is not suitable for persons with reduced mobility. Please contact us for detailed information if needed.
- Robust touring bikes: 7-gears with hub gears and coaster brake or 21-gears with derailleur gears and freewheel, comfort saddle, 28 inch with different frame heights
- If you are taller than 1.90 m or shorter than 1.60 m, we will request wheels with a 66 frame or 26 inch tires for you.
- Electric bikes: 8-speed gears (freewheel, without coaster brake); range approx. 70 km (depending on riding style); only 21 kg net weight; suitable for body heights from 1.60 m – 1.90 m (bookable on request).
- It is possible to bring your own bikes, but at your own risk.
- For possible damages etc. on the own bike during the whole bike trip as well as during transport trips can not be liable.
For your own safety, we recommend that you always wear a bicycle helmet on all bicycle tours.
- Parking included in unguarded private parking lot at the hotel – subject to availability.
- Gunzenhausen and also Regensburg are very easy to reach by train.
- You can also find more information about the timetables at www.bahn.de.
Return transfer Regensburg – Gunzenhausen
Per comfort bus
- Every Saturday all season and additional Fridays & Sundays in June, July & August.
- Pick up directly from hotel / near meeting point in Regensburg and transfer to Gunzenhausen
- On the remaining days, if no bus transfer is offered.
- Free choice of train (2 x change) from 09:00, on all regional trains
- e.g. Regensburg from approx. 09:18 / Gunzenhausen on approx. 12:06 (Attention: No transfer to the train station)
Customer’s own wheels
- Return transfer is possible daily and must be reserved at the time of booking.
- On the days with bus return transfer, the bikes are transported in the course of the bus trip
- Remaining days: Delivery of the bikes until 17:00 the day before at the hotel in Regensburg – they will be ready the next day in Gunzenhausen.
- Surcharge: 30,- € / bike WITHOUT transport insurance; 70,- € / bike WITH transport insurance.
Things to see on the way ...
- Hohenzollern Residence Ansbach Palace & Orangery in the Margravial Court Garden
- Charlemagne's Ditch near Gunzenhausen - and Charlemagne's attempt to build a canal between the Rhine and Danube rivers
- Eichstätt Cathedral and Residence Palace and Willibaldsburg Castle on Day 4
- Roman fort Vetoniana near Walting-Pfünz on the 5th day
- Crystal Museum Riedenburg
- Danube breakthrough to Weltenburg on day 7